20/10, 21/10 - Reviewing Friends and Sample Essay Critiques



This week was all about reviews. The first class of the week had us in partner activity. Nikhil Sir asked us to split into pairs, read each other's multimodal essays and write a review on them. He also provided an extensive rubric for us to follow, complete with his signature memes. 



I partnered with Silka Jayapadme, who had written her essay on the topic Should India Have A National Language?. I was pretty impressed with the way she had written and handled the concept of multimodality in her essay, as I made clear in my review. Her multimodal additions were also very interesting and added to the information in her essay. The activity prompted me to critically examine an essay and carefully analyse the conception and thought process that goes into an essay and how it translates to the reader. 

The next class went along the same vein. We tried to concentrate more on critically analysing what makes a good argumentative essay. Nikhil Sir provided us with an explanation of what an argumentative essay constitutes. We then had to read and critically review five sample essays in class. This required me to acquaint myself well with the components and mechanics of a good argumentative essay. It was a good exercise to better understand how an essay is written and how I can improve my writing process.  Nikhil Sir ended the class with a brief introduction into writing personal statements. Personal statements are an integral skill when it comes to education, so I am looking forward learning about them. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

08/09: Argumentative Essay #1 - Should India Have A National Language?

13/10, 14/10 - They Say, I Say and Multimodality, Intermodality

06/10, 07/10 - Multiliteracies and Quotation Sandwiches